AbstractGNU social is the eldest free social networking platform for public and private communications used in federated social networks. It's versatile, extensible and privacy focused. We've been modernizing the existing codebase, ensuring inter-operationality as defined by the IndieWeb and we're developing a modern frontend. This makes GNU social accessible: easy to install and use, and follows AnyBrowser and A11Y guidelines. Our objective is to further differentiate GNU social from the alternative software available, either FOSS or Proprietary/Centralized while setting an example of how a secure, performant and plug-and-play software should be in modern day's web.
We are being supported by NLnet.
- Initial test and documentation infrastructure (WIP)
- Expand our support for tags, be it in posts and in actors (people, groups, etc)
- Port over the v2 federation stack to v3
- New functionality:
- Implement Companies/Celebrities actor type as Service
- Pinned Activities (plugin)
- More sorting options
- Publication language with defaults per group and easy switch on posting
- Album of Images and Videos
- Server-side rendered-to-svg LaTeX
- Posts with titles
Media handling, such as thumbnails, compression, and quota and permission checking
- External APIs.
- New Groups specification
- Better timelines